Tuesday 27 September 2011

Salt pigs!

Last week I made a number of salt pigs. I haven't made any of these for ages. I started off drawing medieval figures on them which had been what I had planned to do.
Then I remembered some drawings I had done of mermaids. I think the connection I had made was because they are intended for sea salt!
I did enjoy doing them but now I'm not so sure I shouldn't have stayed with my original idea.


As you can see from the pictures I use templates to transfer the mermaids onto the pots. This means that I can get them in just the right place as a mistake cannot be rectified.
It does involve quite precise drawing so this week I have done some bowls with fish on. The way I do these feels very different as I can work directly onto the pot without templates. I enjoying working far more spontaneously with much more flowing lines. I also use coloured slips on these to give a greater depth of colour before I apply the underglaze colours and oxides. It's a bit time consuming but enjoyable.
I packed the kiln for a biscuit firing today. I haven't done a firing for ages and I know that there is going to be a day of reckoning when I will have to catch up with all the gazing.

2 comments:

  1. Exquisite work, Margaret! not many people put bare breasted women on their pots...I'm all for it...!
    I don't think many of my fellow Americans would know what to do with a salt pig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your fish deco M absolutely stunning :)) and of course your figurative drawing is just the thing...could be a whole new mermaid range of wares..

    ReplyDelete