Monday 13 February 2012




Just a quick post to show you this jug I bought recently. I found it in a local 'antique' shop. The owner said it was French but of course I doubt it's either French or antique, however, I really liked it. The pictures are just ones I've hastily taken in my kitchen.
One of the reasons I bought it was because I would very much like to throw more pots from the Kent clay but as yet I haven't been able to match my slip and glaze to it and almost always get splintering on the edges. Looking at this though I think I might make some jugs with slip trailing and not cover the whole pot with slip.
Friday I threw a dozen or more jugs from the commercial clay I use which was very hard and quite difficult to throw. In fact I was wondering what was wrong with me. Then at the end of the day I thought I would have a bit of fun just throwing the Kent clay. What a difference!! It almost threw its self. If I ever get time I would like to explore the possibility of using the Kent clay more.
There was a pottery in Kent making slipware in the 17th century. I've put some pictures at the top. ( I seem to have almost no control over wher blogger puts pictures!!)

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely jug, i wish i could stumble upon more pots like this!
    I'd really like to see some pots with just some trailing Margaret. Give it a go, i can see some nice figurative stuff mixed in. Interesting for me to see how much difference the state of the clay can make to throwing. This is clearly a 'by experience' thing, I'll just have to get that experience quickly! Hope you can figure the Kent clay situation out too, that would be a nice thing. Love those old pots. As for the pictures have you clicked the 'center' that pops up when you highlight the image? You should just be able to drag them to where you want, is this a recent issue with blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty jug. I also like the glimpse into the other pottery in your collection in the background of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something in that pitcher says "Weatheriggs"...another something says "yes, possibly French" It does have the liveliness of Savoyard slipware. It could well be antique.
    Whatever it is, it is handsome and well worth having to care for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a nice jug...
    Your pottery, however, is quantum leaps better (just for the record.) I understand your appreciation of the aesthetic, however, and I hope it is an antique worth much more than you acquired it for.

    ReplyDelete