Wednesday 23 October 2013

To West Wales and beyond...

 We have had a hectic week-end away. Going to Aberystwyth via North Devon.
We had a walk through the Vallery of the Rocks and on down down to Lynmouth. After getting very wet walking the coast path to see seals we had much pleasanter weather when we walked in the RHS Rosemoor Gardens.


 At Aberystwyth I walked along the sea front dashing to the shops when the rain became too heavy.
 Of course I've been wanting to go to Devon for some time. Mainly to visit my brother and his wife but also (not surprisingly) to see the pots! One of our first stops was the Burton Art Gallery Museum. If you click on the link you can view all of the slipware pots from the Reg Lloyd collection. Here are just a few to whet your appetite.





 One of my other ambitions has been to visit Harry Juniper's shop. Unfortunately I didn't see him but I did enjoy looking at his work. After seeing all the pots in the museum it was wonderful to see the tradition of North Devon commemorative ware still carried on. John Edgeler has just published a book about Harry Juniper to celebrate Harry's 80th birthday.

 At Aberystwyth's Arts Centre there were yet more pots to get excited about. Although the collection is quite small I found the selection of works by Michael Cardew wonderful. They looked so lively and fresh they could have just come out of the kiln.

 These two jugs by Peter Smith are so animated. It was interesting to see such gestural work after looking at the precise detailed work of Harry Juniper. These jugs seemed to have real personality.
The wassail bowl below is from Ewenny pottery in South Wales. Probably one of Wale's oldest potteries and still producing work today.
 There was also an exhibition of work by Michael Flynn. His work is so lively you almost expect the figures to move before your eyes. The way he has captured wild, unrestrained movement is magic. 
Today I've been back in my studio working with my mind buzzing with ideas.


3 comments:

  1. I must have just missed you Margaret, as I was at Bideford at the same time collecting jugs from Harry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am heading to Bideford from our Castle Hill Pottery Knucklas Welsh Marches with my Mum to look at the slip ware before Tony Hall makes a Wassail bowl for her Wiviliscombe ringers, nice job for me to decorate.

    ReplyDelete